[09.25.26] One Year of “Brainstorm with Kjun” (Updated)

:kjun_heart: Hello, everyone.:kjun_heart:

It’s a long holiday weekend here in Korea, and next week marks exactly one year since I started “brainstorm_with_kjun.” I can still vividly remember the day I wrote my first post. Even though it was a year ago, it stands out because it was the first time I replied in a channel like this and began having real conversations with all of you.

Someone else was originally going to manage this channel, but due to personal circumstances, I had to step in at short notice. That gave me the chance to hear your thoughts firsthand and begin a meaningful journey of learning more about this field. I guess everything really does happen for a reason.

I remember that first day, too. I was in Incheon for work, sitting in my parked car and replying to your posts one by one as Discord notifications came in. But by the time I got to my seventh reply, I realized I wouldn’t be able to keep going that way. I had started out thinking, “I’ll reply to every post,” but soon understood that it wasn’t realistic. That’s how I settled into the routine I follow today: posting twice a week.

I’ve learned so much from hearing your thoughts, and you’ve given us valuable ideas that have helped shape inZOI. We’ve been working through the things I promised a year ago, one by one. Along the way, we’ve run into technical challenges and sometimes had to adjust our direction, but that’s how we’ve made it this far.

This week’s video includes some of the major updates currently in development. We recently tested them with a small group of players and modders, then made improvements based on their feedback. In particular, we changed the structure to make it possible to create mods using MCP. I was really pleased with this approach, and I’m curious to hear what you think. I’ll show you more about it next time.:psycat_cahaya:

Today is Chuseok, one of Korea’s major holidays. Do you remember what I shared about it last year? Chuseok means “autumn evening,” and it is also associated with the night when the autumn moon shines brightest. There are a lot of clouds tonight, so it may be hard to see the moon.

If you’re going through a difficult time right now, I hope you’ll keep this in mind:

Even on days when clouds hide it from view, the moon is always there. It waits for the darkness to pass, ready to light up the world again. Perhaps this dark moment is also a time of preparation—a time before a bright tomorrow grows full, like the harvest moon.

I’ll leave it there for today. I’ll see you again next week.

Thank you, everyone.:man_bowing:

On an autumn evening, beneath the bright moon,
kjun :growing_heart:


Kjun’s Reply to Your Comments

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for all the thoughtful feedback you left on last week’s post. I read through every single comment over the holiday. Many of you asked about the progress of various features and issues, so today I’d like to go through them one by one. There’s quite a lot to cover today, so just like last time with the character limit, I’ll be splitting this into two posts.

First, let me address something many of you were curious about: the change from “City Immigration” to “Move to City.” We received a lot of questions about what will be different. We will be temporarily disabling the ability to own multiple residential lots at the same time, but you will still be able to move to another city. Once you move to a city, you can settle your Zoi and their family into any residential lot you choose there.

Next, the roadmap items. The Karma system improvements that we mentioned for October will be delayed. We are currently working on them together with the Values system as part of the personality system work. As many of you have pointed out, if these systems operate separately, they can feel disconnected from how Zois actually behave. I’m also well aware of the inconvenience distance culling has been causing, and I will ask the responsible team to look into ways to ease it. I’m sorry to everyone who has been waiting on items that are now behind the timeline we shared. We’ll put together the updated roadmap and share it with you separately.

We are also looking into the bugs you’ve reported again and again. Our top priorities are NPCs no longer dating or having children on their own, and Zois with the Devoted trait being drawn to others despite having a partner, or not following the romantic gender preferences you’ve set. We know how much these issues shake the foundation of the game, especially for those of you who focus on family play. Going forward, we plan to develop NPC birth simulation further, so that expected birth rates vary based on family harmony, financial situation, and trait combinations.

Beyond that, we are also classifying the following as important bugs and investigating them: nightclub bartenders teaching customers drink recipes instead of serving them, doors not opening during robberies, birthday events ending right away, Zois not talking while eating, and need values not working properly across different time settings. As for the after-school playground time that disappeared in the June update, this was due to a structural issue that came up while expanding lots, as I mentioned before. Instead, I’ll pass it on to the developer in charge so that children can play together at playgrounds after school.

Many of you, especially those who have enjoyed life simulation games for a long time, told us the same thing: before adding anything new, make each Zoi feel like a true individual. I feel the same way. Making traits have a visible impact on how Zois act and react, and letting relationships unfold naturally without the player having to guide every step, is what we consider our most important task before full release.

For SmartZoi, we’ve heard from many of you that since the last update, inner thoughts have become repetitive and what you enter isn’t being reflected well. We will work on improving it so that inner thoughts match each Zoi’s personality and current state. We’ve also received your feedback on the animations you see most often, like eating and walking, as well as repeated idle animations such as fixing shoes, and we are reviewing them. As I mentioned back in July, the skill system will gain depth step by step rather than being changed all at once. We are also looking at making the quality of crafted works visibly reflect skill level, and exploring ways for skills to matter in many moments of a Zoi’s life, not just for simple interactions or unlocking rewards.

Thank you as well for all your excitement about the December celebrity update. I also read what you shared about Dowon and K-pop. K-pop in inZOI is a story that began in Dowon, and we have not forgotten that. Our direction of adding new spaces mainly as new cities remains the same, for the reasons I explained before. However, that doesn’t mean Dowon and the other existing cities should stand still. I’ll be able to explain this in more detail as we get closer to December.

We also received a lot of feedback on the new looks of the town NPCs. Some of you welcomed the new designs, while others told us you had grown attached to their original appearance. We will carefully consider both perspectives.

Lastly, I have some good news to share. In the October update, we plan to provide free placement in Build Mode as a cheat. I hope it will let you build the homes and buildings you’ve been imagining with much more freedom.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share such detailed feedback. We will continue to listen closely to every one of your voices.

See you on Friday.
kjun

18 Likes

Hey Dear @Kjun in the spring you showed us children’s cars and bicycles in your video i’m wondering when that update is coming out!

8 Likes

thank you for your genuine words. I am going through a hard time right now and inzoi has become a therapeutic part of my healing. I hope you guys can overcome all the challenges ahead! I’m so happy about seeing the fame part coming alone! Korea are made for this content. Hope we can see actors as well.! Kjun, I had a little idea for the paparazzi system!

To keep the system from becoming too performance-heavy, maybe paparazzi could be represented by “dummy” or simplified Zoi rather than fully simulated NPCs. They could appear only at specific high-profile locations, such as movie studios, hotels, restaurants, or event venues.

For example, when a famous Zoi walks out of a certain building, you could trigger a few camera flashes and have these paparazzi react automatically. It could create the feeling of being surrounded by photographers without having to simulate a large number of fully active NPCs all the time.

And it could become an actual gameplay interaction, too! Famous Zoi could potentially negotiate with paparazzi or sell exclusive photos for money. Maybe you could even have different levels of interaction depending on the Zoi’s fame — ignore them, pose for them, pay them, sell an exclusive photo, etc.

It could make fame feel much more dynamic while keeping the performance cost relatively low. I’d love to see something like this for the Celebrity system! :heart:

4 Likes

That’s all Russian-speaking users will see until they switch the forum to English :crying_cat:

Who do we need to finally write to and where so they start fixing the forum?

Or is this supposed to help us understand what these “dark times” are like and inspire us with the hope that everything will magically improve on its own? :laughing:

9 Likes

Since once again, the discussion is only about Discord and not the forum, and considering all the comments that have already been made about this, I don’t really feel that commenting here is useful.

So, this time, I’ll simply refrain from commenting.

Have a nice day to everyone who reads and takes the time to share their thoughts on the forum!

16 Likes

Happy Chuseok, Mr. Kjun! Wishing you a wonderful time with your family. Thank you for your work and your team’s work. :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly what I see and that’s it :joy: I’ll switch now.

2 Likes

I agree with you. This is just a copy-paste we get to read on the forum. Every idea and suggestion we post underneath here seems to fall on deaf ears.

Nice day and weekend to you @Kara as well and to all the people, who actually keep this forum together​:four_leaf_clover:

9 Likes

hey @Carnel :slightly_smiling_face:, the forum says: that you say: that “Spanish speakers” (those of us who speak Spanish) can’t read the whole message :hushed_face:, I thought you were saying something about us :grinning_face:, but I can see the entire message.

But if I switch the forum to its English version, the forum says: that you say: that it’s the users who speak Russian who can’t see the entire message.

With this information I want to tell you that the forum translates much worse than you think :roll_eyes: :upside_down_face:

:cherry_blossom:

8 Likes

I agree with @Kara . I also have the feeling that the InZoi team reads the comments at the last moment. Yes, there are some minor points that have been heard and added, but when you talk about the main big issues and problems, it feels like they’re just being ignored. So, the brainstorming forum here doesn’t really work in a clear way. And even if there are some replies, nothing substantive is confirmed.

7 Likes

Yes, that’s happened before too. Apparently, the forum’s AI thinks that if users write something about their language — everyone needs to have it translated as an instruction for their native one. We’ve already talked about how sometimes it translates “InZOI” as “Sims”. This is complete nonsense here, but it happens nonetheless :laughing:

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve been convinced of this for a long time. But if I previously hoped that “well, it’s clear it’s not Kjun himself, but surely our proposals somehow get summed up and passed along for discussion”, now that we’ve been seeing reports of serious errors for months and they never appear in the “Known Issues” list, everything becomes clear.

When you specifically show a video where you have to rotate the camera most of the time just to get Zoe in the frame instead of walls — it’s absolutely obvious that this topic needs correction. But has there been even a word about optimizing wall display rendering? And honestly, words aren’t even needed — based on the YouTube view statistics, it was clear to me that the developers didn’t bother watching it. The views were recorded a couple of days later based on the number of user comments. So all my efforts were simply a waste of time.

And the forum’s “senior” users have already confirmed that until they started writing their suggestions in Discord, no one saw them, and only there did people start paying attention.

So we’re basically just talking among ourselves here, for the most part.

9 Likes

Looks like the celebrity system is tied only to the music career .

When will developers realise that if they have their own forums people want to be heard on those forums and not have to post on Discord which is often a complete mess ,

13 Likes

Yes. And the thing is, for us from Russia, the path to Discord is blocked. And it’s simply impossible to actually access it. The only thing we can do is speak up and share on the forum.

5 Likes

Hello everyone, hello to the whole team and @Kjun

I really love the proposals in the Celebrity System video, for me there’s nothing that needs to be changed it’s perfect, I love it.

Have a great weekend everyone, @Kjun

1 Like

I really like the idea of giving the NPCs more personality and updating their looks, and I actually like most of the new designs! There’s just one NPC in particular whose old appearance I really loved and got attached to — I added the before/after picture below.

For him, I’d personally prefer keeping his original design exactly the same and only improving the visual quality, or keeping both versions by turning the new design into a separate NPC. I’d be sad to completely lose the old look, especially since other players may have gotten attached to him too.

Overall I really like the direction of the NPC rework — this is just the one redesign I’d love to see reconsidered. :growing_heart:

5 Likes

I remember it like it was yesterday: we actually got a surprisingly positive response to our wishlist regarding utilizing the forum, since there were a lot of people who weren’t on Discord

so we took turns reposting the updates in the relevant threads,

UPD reposting our forum requests to Discord,

and considered keeping some sort of log for the requested features

though I think it ultimately just ended up serving as a sort of “mirror”.

6 Likes

With the recent previews of the Fame and Idol systems, I’ve been thinking about what I would love to see in the December update.

I really hope the Fame system can support both Singer/Idol and Actor careers, rather than focusing on only one entertainment career.

For Idol/Singer gameplay, the current direction already looks very promising: performances, trophies, social media, fame, etc. It feels like a very natural fit for inZOI, especially with Dowon and its Korean entertainment atmosphere.

But I would also LOVE to see an Actor career included, even if it is more lightweight at first.

It doesn’t necessarily need a fully playable movie set for every shoot. In fact, I think a rabbit-hole or event-based approach could work extremely well and would probably be much more performance-friendly.

For example:

Actor Zoi receives a casting offer → chooses whether to accept → selects a role → goes to a filming event/rabbit hole → returns with a completed movie → gains an entry in their filmography → receives money, Fame, Reputation, and possibly awards.

Over time, the Zoi could build a real acting resume / filmography, with things like:

  • Movie title
  • Year
  • Genre
  • Role
  • Success or reception
  • Fame gained
  • Awards / nominations
  • Earnings

This would make an Actor career feel like an actual long-term life story rather than just a job level.

I personally played the active Actor career in The Sims 4 a lot when I first discovered it. The movie set was fun and exciting the first few times, but after that, the gameplay became quite repetitive, so I almost never visited the set anymore.

For inZOI, I would actually prefer a system where the career progression and consequences are deeper, even if the actual filming is sometimes a rabbit hole.

For example:

Actor → accepts different projects → builds filmography → becomes more famous → gets better offers → earns awards → attracts paparazzi → becomes a celebrity.

This would make Fame feel meaningful instead of simply increasing a number.

I think this would also fit perfectly with the direction you’ve already mentioned about actors living in one city and traveling to another city with film sets.

And it would create two very different but equally interesting entertainment careers:

:microphone: Idol / Singer: training, performances, groups, fans, social media, awards

:clapper_board: Actor: casting, movie roles, filmography, reviews, awards, fame

Both could then feed into the same broader Celebrity / Fame / Reputation system.

I don’t think the Actor career needs to be enormous at launch. Even a relatively simple version with casting + projects + filmography + Fame + awards would already give players a lot of freedom to create their own stories.

I would really love to see both sides of the entertainment industry represented in the Fame system. Even a relatively simple Actor career with casting, projects, filmography, Fame and awards would already give players a lot of freedom to create their own stories.

I think this could make the Celebrity system feel much broader and more meaningful, while keeping the actual gameplay relatively lightweight and performance-friendly. :heart:

1 Like

THIS! Please keep your word on this! A lot of other people and me have been wishing for these changes to happen! FUNDAMENTALS FIRST! These are incredibly good news that you finally give us feedback on this. Thank you!

I’ll also link my latest forum post here:

8 Likes